Born in Denver and raised in Colorado, Mexico, and Peru, I attended Grinnell College and the University of Denver. I have worked in many literary and editorial roles, including roles as in-house corporate writer, freelance corporate writer, freelance general nonfiction writer, project consultant (“book doctor”), line editor, copy editor, and proofreader. I live with my wife near Montpelier, Vermont.
Over the course of my thirty-year career as a writer, I have published four novels (including The Mountain Trilogy: The Mountain Made of Light, Fire and Ice, and The Summit); fourteen children’s books (including Storyteller, Duck and Cover, Ice, Climb or Die, and The Adventures of Forri the Baker); and a well-received, much-reprinted book about bereavement, When Parents Die: A Guide for Adults.
I have also co-authored or ghostwritten over a dozen book-length projects, of which just a few are:
- The Structure House Weight Plan: The Life-Changing Program for Lifelong Health (with Gerard J. Musante, Ph.D.)
- The Ernst & Young Financial Planning Guide (with partners of Ernst & Young)
- The Ernst & Young Executive Guide to Total Cost Management (with partners of Ernst & Young)
- Master Your Fears: How to Triumph over Your Worries and Get on with Your Life (with Linda Sapadin, Ph.D.)
- The Parenting Survival Kit: How to Make It Through the Parenting Years with Your Family, Sanity, and Wallet Intact (with Aleta Koman, M.Ed.)
- Adult Sibling Rivalry: Understanding the Legacy of Childhood (with Jane Greer, D.S.W.).
For details on these and many other books, please click the link below.